NCC provides excellent academic opportunities for all students, employing experienced teachers who support students to expand and achieve their learning goals. Our College provides all university prerequisite subjects that students may choose to undertake.
Learning for Living
While the Junior curriculum is designed to allow students to experience a broad range of subject and to discover their strengths and interests, the VCE program allows students to pursue their specific interests and to set up a solid foundation for tertiary study and beyond.
Character for Life
VCE curriculum follows VCAA requirements and study designs, but Christian values and ethics continue to be central to all study.
Yr 11 students study 6 subjects. Yr 12 students study 6 subjects, but one of these may be completed in Yr 11 as part of the Extension Program.
All VCE students at Nunawading Christian College study Texts and Traditions, culminating in an in-depth study of the book of Luke, allowing the Special Character of the school to be experienced right to the end of VCE.
Individual VCE program advice is offered to all students on an ongoing basis to ensure success, support and wellbeing.
VCE Extension Program
All Year 10 student are given the opportunity to apply to study a Year 11 VCE subject as part of their Year 10 program. This gives them experience and insights for how to best approach their subjects remaining Year 11 subjects the following year and allows them to finish one Year 12 subject when they are in Year 11. High-achieving Year 12 students may choose to enter a University Extension subject, completing a first-year undergraduate subject while in Year 12.
Small VCE class sizes allow for a high level of monitoring, support and personalised tutorial-style teaching.
Subjects offered at VCE level are determined by the interests of the Year 10 class as they prepare to enter their VCE. This means that the subject line up will vary
from year to year. Students may access subjects through external providers such as the Victorian School of Languages, TAFEs, Distance Education Victoria and VETiS providers.
Career support at NCC includes
- At Year 10 level all students participate in:
- a week long work experience placement of their choice
- career testing and debriefing
- information sessions on how to use the Job Guide to identify qualifications needed for specific careers
- information session on how to use VTAC Course Search to explore tertiary courses and to identify pre-requisite subjects at VCE level
- individual subject choice counselling in consultation with the student’s teachers.
- All Year 10 and 11 students attend a career expo, where they can explore an extensive range of career and course options.
- At Year 11 and 12 level, subject selection advice continues to ensure maximum success, wellbeing and support.
- A brief career test is offered to Year 12 students to help clarify options and to equip students with the language needed to identify their workplace strengths and weaknesses.
- Parents and Year 12 students are asked to attend a VTAC information session where student are supported in the tertiary courses selection and application process.
- A career newsletter is emailed to all Year 10, 11 and 12 students each fortnight, informing them about tertiary opportunities, information sessions and general career events.