God’s Glasses

Mr Martin Kutschker shared the following message at our first ever Family Worship via Zoom. If you missed out on hearing his inspirational talk, you can read it here.

2020: “The year God lost His glasses”

In the years preceding 2020, so many companies and groups spoke about 2020 as a year of vision and clarity – playing off the whole ‘2020 vision’ thing…..

Funny how all that ‘bombastic motivation’ has gone kind of quiet this year, hey!

For those of us with any sprinkling of a God-concept, it may seem God has in fact, lost His glasses. It seems this year is forever spinning way out of control as each day goes on.

But to be honest, maybe 2020 is just messing with our deeply privileged, western first world, affluence entitlement…as it is certainly not the only issue or time in current or past human history that has been touched by a pandemic, uncertainty, death, disease….

But, as I’ve gone through 2020, I‘ve asked myself this question often…and I ask it of you today: Has God lost His glasses? Or are we the ones that have actually misplaced our own glasses?! Deeper still, are we wearing the wrong glasses?

I know what I’m like without my actual glasses. My kids think it’s funny to put my glasses on. They walk around bumping into each other and corners of walls, because the glasses aren’t made for them!

As a young fella I knew what it was like to live outside of a Creator/creation mindset, where my life was lived out of an ‘eat, drink and be merry’ mindset. I was my own god, and with no transcendent meaning, purpose or accountability, my whole experience of life was meaningless and downright selfish. Suffering and evil made no sense and had no redemptive purpose hidden within, that I could see. I was oblivious. I was choosing the glasses (or the blue pills from The Matrix) on offer from my education, my government, my media consumption and going back to sleep on a regular basis.

But it all changed for me in July of 1991. 29 years ago I met Jesus, in my bedroom at the age of 18. I had an encounter with the Creator of the universe as the Bible my mum gave me when I was a little boy fell off my bookshelf, landing open on Ephesians 4:17-24, right in front of me.

I read it. 

And like the red pill in the Matrix, I swallowed it. And got woken up. BORN AGAIN. REBORN. 

In an instant, I had a new birth within me. I crossed over from being a denier, an enemy, a ridiculer of Jesus and His followers – to being hungry and thirsty for Jesus and living His way and willing to suffer for Him. Redemption entered my life. Suffering began to make sense. Hope dawned through trials. God gave me His set of glasses to see through His eyes.

I pray that today, wherever you are in your view of the year that is 2020 and your view of God, that you would see He has not lost His glasses. He hasn’t left us alone. He’s not unaware and aloof of our earthly trials and tribulations. 

So what view of God should I have, you ask?

Look no further than His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. In the words of Jesus Himself: “He that sees the Son, has seen the Father” (John 14:9). Jesus is the ‘express image of God’ (Hebrews 1). We need look no further than Jesus. Emmanuel. God in the flesh. God with ‘skin on’.

I pray for a better understanding of 2020. Let’s recognise, God hasn’t lost His glasses at all. He is in fact offering, as He always does, a chance for us afresh to receive a new set of glasses to view the world through. Won’t you take a look today through His lenses?!

Grab a Bible. Grab a friend – figuratively. Read the Gospels of Jesus and see what God was like when He walked the earth. Talk to your friend who knows this Jesus and see how He has impacted their life in modern times to put context and relevance into a way of life that is completely different from every other faith and worldview there is. It’s one where God comes down to us, lives the life we should’ve lived, dies the death we should’ve died, bridges the gap on our behalf and makes the greatest substitution in all history: Our faults in exchange for His forgiveness and freedom.

And all this while we were His enemies. A gift, not earned. By faith, not of works.

In response, with new glasses on, you too can live out the life that He has for you to walk in. That my friends, is still what can make 2020, like mine in 1991, a year that will change the rest of your history, and get us ready for eternity.

2020….The year God lost His glasses? 

No.

2020. The year God gave you His new set of glasses.

Latest Events