Poverty Awareness – Year 8 Highlight Day

On our Term Three Highlight Day, we were privileged to be educated on the topic of poverty.  The day saw us participating in scenarios such as droughts, tsunamis, and war where we had to wash clothes in the creek, fill up buckets of water and carry them long distances and make a shelter out of cardboard to protect ourselves. There were many things I learnt on the day, but one thing that really struck me, was that 80% of the world’s population is not able to have a fully nourishing meal, daily. If I didn’t have three full meals every day, I don’t know if I could make it through the day, working to my fullest. Food and water is essential for the human body and we all wanted to know how we could help people who aren’t as privileged, as the top 20% of the population. Claudia’s grandpa, Pr David Syme, was able to share some of his wisdom on this topic with us by focussing on what development means and how to help those in need. One piece of advice he told us was that all we had to do is to be aware of the food we are consuming. We were told that we could help by making sure we don’t waste food by putting it in the bin, but instead find another alternative, like using a compost bin instead. Mr Njock also spoke of his personal experiences in Cameroon. It was really touching to hear personal stories. Everyone at this Highlight Day truly enjoyed themselves and were blessed by the message Simon was able to share with us. Thank you so much to everyone who was involved in planning Term Three’s Highlight Day!

Written by Ella B